Thursday, December 20, 2007

2:30


This would have been so much easier if only you'd come to see me sooner.

This past week, I had a root canal. It got me thinking.

Just so you know: I am terrified of dentists. I know, I know, it's irrational and it isn't healthy to avoid the dentist when you know you have a problem -- believe me, I've heard it all from family and friends -- but that's what I did.

I had a problem with a tooth. It hurt to eat. It hurt when it got cold outside. It hurt when I was trying to sleep. But I managed. I learned to live with it. I chewed on the other side of my mouth. I kept my mouth closed when I was outside in the cold. I did all sorts of crazy things to get around going to the dentist.

What was I afraid of?

For one thing, I knew it would hurt. Also, I knew it would be expensive. Then there was the fear of the unknown. Maybe I would need a root canal. Maybe they would pull my tooth. Maybe they would tell me that there was nothing they could do for me. So I lived with it.

And then my tooth cracked.

Now, instead of hurting when I ate, it became impossible to eat. Instead of just hurting when I was out in the cold, it hurt all the time. It didn't hurt when I slept anymore...because I couldn't sleep.

Now I didn't have a choice. I broke down and went to the dentist. Before I knew it, I was in the chair. And yes, it was painful. But I now I can sleep at night. And yes, it was expensive. But not nearly as expensive as I had feared. My dentist was professional and efficient. But as I sat in the chair, he said to me, more than once, "This would have been so much easier if only you'd come to see me sooner..."

Anyway, like I said, the whole thing has me thinking.

My company, TECHIES, fixes and maintains computers and networks for small businesses. You wouldn't believe how often when new clients come to us, we find that their computers are a mess. Failed backups, excessive spam, computers that lock up all the time. No one can get any work done. We're happy to help them, no matter bad it seems to them. We'll show up, day or night, and get them back in business. We are professional and efficient. But we'll often remark to each other, "This would have been so much easier if only they'd come to see us sooner."

Why do they wait so long to call us? They're probably afraid that it will take up some of their time. Also, they probably know it could be expensive. Then there is always the fear of the unknown. Maybe someone will tell them that they need to upgrade their computers. Maybe someone will tell them they need a new server. So they put it off. They do all sorts of crazy things to get around calling us. I get it now.

Maybe you aren't scared of the dentist. Maybe you go in for cleanings every six months. Maybe you get your oil changed every 3000 miles. Maybe you understand that by properly maintaining something, you can prevent avoidable disasters. But who do you have taking care of your computers and network? If something's wrong with your computers, call someone to get it fixed. Don't let it get worse. You don't have to live with the pain. Honest.


TECHIES is the IT Department for Small Business in the Twin Cities. When you know it's time to start taking care of your computers and network, give us a call at 612.333.TECH.

No comments: